Sadly very little information about the ancient Celts has survived and what we know is pieced together from fragments, second hand and bias sources.
It is believed that the ancient Celtics followed a lunar calendar. As a result, the ancient calendar would have had 12 months one year and 13 the next.
The Celtic Tree Month calendar is an adaption that allows modern Wicca to benefit from fixed dates mapped to the Gregorian year while still being close to traditional ways.
- Birch Moon – December 24 to January 20
- Rowan Moon – January 21 to February 17
- Ash Moon February 18 to March 17
- Alder Moon – March 18 to April 14
- Willow Moon – April 15 to May 12
- Hawthorn Moon – May 13 to June 9
- Oak Moon – June 10 to July 7
- Holly Moon – July 8 to August 4
- Hazel Moon – August 5 to September 1
- Vine Moon – September 2 to September 29
- Ivy Moon – September 30 to October 27
- Reed Moon – October 28 to December 23
- Elder Moon – November 25 to December 23
In Pure Spirit
Do you follow the Tree Calendar? Just how sure can we be of any practice which claims to be based solidly on Celtic tradition?
Join the conversation