The ghost in the haunted hotel room in the listed Cambridgeshire building is believed to hate fire. Known as Mary, she is believed to have died of smoke inhalation in the same room.
Jean Axelsen, cook at the George Hotel, told the press, “It is strange that the fire was contained to that one room and did not spread.
“Also nothing electrical is plugged in up there as it is only used for storage.
“It is at the back of my mind that it could have been something more but Mary would never hurt us and she hates fire.
She added, “Mary hates fire so much she steals people’s lighters and blows out candles.”
Around 10 people were forced to flee the 17th century hotel in the early hours of the morning. Smoke alarms sounded just after 3:40am and provided enough time for staff and guests to escape.
The fire is believed to have started in the storage room on the top floor. The Cambridgeshire fire brigade have said that the blaze then spread to the roof area and is believed to have started from an electrical fault.
In Pure Spirit
Do you think Mary is responsible for the fire? Or did she help contain it?